Bear in mind that when going from the "slow" to the "fast", you not
only removed the repeated calls to to-array, but also removed the
overhead of words-with, since the lazy seq returned from the let
doesn't get fully realized.

Try changing your "fast" version to:

(def update-wlist #(let [w (doall (take 26 (words-with (current-
word))))]
                       (. words setListData wlistdata)))

My guess is it's not going to be fast anymore.