Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I'm interested to get some
opinions from experienced Clojure programmers on whether the language
would be a good first language to learn, or rather to learn in-depth.
I have minimal experienced with more common languages like Java, HTML,
and C++, but having the personality I do, felt compelled to shop
around a bit before choosing a first language to learn seriously on a
deep and intuitive level-- perhaps my odd notion of there being a
connection between a programmer and the first language s/he
understands on that high of a level. So after shopping around
thoroughly and picking up bits about on theoretical computer science
and the history of programming languages, I decided to pick up a Lisp;
I'm intrigued by the greater concept/idea behind the Lisp family of
languages.

After a long while trying to figure out which of the Lisps would be a
good first choice, I stumbled across Clojure and immediately thought
it a brilliant idea, conceding of course that at my current level of
knowledge, I likely have no idea what a brilliant idea in computer
programming looks like. Regardless, it still feels brilliant.

As I see it, among other features of the language, the idea of a Lisp
designed to be a capable choice for "real-world" code applications,
that is a Lisp which embodies the spirit of that family of languages
yet one which resolves many of the "practicality" complaints which
stand as hurdles on a Lisp's path to real-world use. For my situation,
that of a student who wants both a) to learn a first language I can
have a real, intellectual appreciation for and b) to begin the journey
to "expertise" in a language it would be practical to code web
applications in.

So, Clojure programmers, am I wrong? Should I pass on Clojure in favor
of another langauge? Or learn Common Lisp or Scheme first, then try my
hand at Clojure? Am I mistaken for a different reason? Or perhaps
there are some criteria I should consider before diving in?

Thanks in advance, and again for taking the time to read.
--Towle