On Dec 1, 12:38 am, Towle <towle.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So after shopping around
> thoroughly and picking up bits about on theoretical computer science
> and the history of programming languages, I decided to pick up a Lisp;
> I'm intrigued by the greater concept/idea behind the Lisp family of
> languages.

In your research, did you find Abelson and Sussman's book, Structure
and Interpretation of Computer Programs? The full text is freely
available at http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/, and video lectures from
the class are at
http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/classes/6.001/abelson-sussman-lectures/.
I have never seen a better introduction to programming and computing
than SICP. It uses Scheme, but you do not need to study the language
separately; you'll learn it naturally as you go through the book. Be
sure to do the exercises. :)

You can certainly go through SICP using Clojure, but you'll have to
deal with semantic differences between Scheme and Clojure (especially
in laziness and sequence behavior), so I don't recommend it. After you
have gone through the book, you'll pick up Clojure in no time at all,
and will probably find it an enjoyable language for real-world
programming.