On Dec 2, 12:43 pm, Jim Weirich <jim.weir...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 2, 2009, at 4:36 PM, ataggart wrote:
>
> > If by "koan" you mean usage examples, then there are plenty of them
> > within the clojure source itself, as well as clojure-contrib.
>
> The Koans are more than "just" examples.  They are designed to
> demonstrate one concept at a time and are arranged so that each
> example builds on the previous ones.
>
> > Leave it to rubyists to turn a simple concept like examples into some
> > religious indoctrination.  I kid!
>
> Actually, the Ruby Koans were very much inspired by the question/
> answer style of the "Little Lisper".  So now it has come full circle
> back to the Lisp world.

Would you recommend the "Little Lisper" today (assuming you've read
it) and have it be application enough to Clojure that it would be
worth reading?

> At one point in time I was considering putting together a set of
> Clojure koans, but got sidetracked with the SICP study. I discovered I
> can't learn Scheme and learn Clojure at the same time, so Clojure
> Koans are on hold for the moment.  If anyone wants to run with the
> idea, feel free.

The Ruby Koans were really fun to go through and I always recommend it
to people new to Ruby.

And BTW, I was pleasantly surprised to see you respond to this post.
I don't know if you recall our conversation (I'm who drove you around
Oahu while you were in town for Aloha on Rails :)), but our Emacs talk
really got me motivated and using Emacs full time which got me
interested in Lisps which brought me to Clojure!  So thanks for the
inspiring talk!

-Matt