On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Jarkko Oranen <chous...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jeff Dik wrote:
>> The part "Running code at read-time lets users reprogram Lisp's
>> syntax" caught my attention.  Is this talking about reader macros?  I
>> believe I read that clojure doesn't have reader macros, so would it be
>> more accurate to say "The whole language is there, _most_ of the
>> time"?
>>

> Clojure does have reader macros, though they're implemented in Java at
> the moment (because the reader is, too.) They're also reserved for the
> implementation, though this may change in the future, if someone can
> convince Rich that an user-augmentable reader provides enough benefits
> to outweigh the potential problems.

There are certainly lots of good reasons not to include reader macros
in the Clojure (e.g. it raises the bar significantly for people
writing editors and other tools). But it would be useful if someone
were to maintain a fork of Clojure that adds reader-macro capability,
and let the community play with it for a while: sort of the way that
the bleeding-edgers are playing now with protocols and deftypes on the
'new' branch. The experimentation might bear some interesting fruit.

Best,
Graham