Mike K <mbk.li...@gmail.com> writes:

> I've a Clojure newbie, and I've just started running clojure-mode and
> slime under emacs (on Windows). I'm running into several issues.  Some
> of these are definitely bugs in my understanding; others may be bugs
> in my install or the implementation itself. I'd appreciate any help
> anyone can provide on the following questions:

How did you install slime? If you use trunk of slime you will run into
breaking changes for which swank-clojure hasn't been updated yet. It's
best to use ELPA, the Emacs package manager. (http://tromey.com/elpa)

> Annoyingingly, emacs claims "C-c C-k is undefined" when I ask the help
> system about that binding.

Sounds like you're invoking help from a context in which slime-mode is
not enabled; probably due to installing by hand and forgetting a step?

> In any event, I'm not quite sure what "compile" means in this
> context.  Is this truly "AOT compile into class files", or is it
> something more general?  I suspect it's the latter; I don't see class
> files being generated anywhere.  If the file I'm "compiling" contains
> no errors, the effect seems to be just like ^C^L except that the
> minibuffer says something like "Compilation finished: 0 errors  0
> warnings  0 notes [0.00 secs]"  Is there any important difference
> between the two here?

Slime was designed for use with Common Lisp, which has a distinction
between compiled and interpreted code. Clojure has no interpreter, so
any way of loading in the code runs it through the compiler.

> If there are errors, e.g., an intentional typo, other strangeness
> occurs.  I'll get a message like "Compilation failed: 2 errors  0
> warnings  0 notes [0.00 secs]".  Fine. From the file.clj buffer, I
> think I should be able to use M-n and M-p to navigate amongst the
> errors (or is it the notes?) but I only get "No next note."

There are some features of Slime that have not been ported to Clojure
yet and still only work in CL. Unfortunately the author of the Clojure
port has dropped it and I am left maintaining it myself, and there are
still several portions of the code that I haven't gotten a chance to
dive into yet.

-Phil