Please keep in mind that it is almost literally the speech that I give
to my friends/colleagues when they ask me why am I so excited about
Clojure. I did it many times now and I have quickly learned that
saying "persistent data structures" gets misinterpreted by every
single person as "something you can save to file [as XML/binary]",
i.e. serialization.
So the funny thing is: by changing my tune and being imprecise, I
communicate the basic idea much better now :-).

I do understand and appreciate the difference (and I've watched all
Rich's talks :-) but the term is so overloaded that it usually
misleads "imperative" people. Only later I can introduce and use it by
giving a formal definition first and letting it settle for a while.
And only with people who wants to hear more and cares to learn the
difference :).

- Dmitry