> Talking of semantics, do you think the one I enumerated would work?
> I'll certainly try to implement this concept, but I have many other
> projects on the table right now, so it might take a while before I
> start working on it.

Yes, it looks good. The key thing is that all users/developers agree
on this. IMHO this is much harder than defining/choosing a good
version scheme ;-)

>> However, the problem in Java is dealing with versions at runtime, not
>> at build time!
>
> It's sure would be a nice addition, but dealing with versioning at
> build time would at least give library users some assurance.

IMHO, no. This is the whole problem. Library users will mostly care
about the runtime. It doesn't help at all if your code compiles, maybe
in isolated pieces, but everything blows up at runtime. For example, I
never had problems compiling against the correct Log4j version. Maven
will set up the classpath for each "compiliation unit" (here Maven
module) individually. But I stopped counting how often the runtime
screw up because several libraries were using log4j, all expecting
different version, and the whole classpath was a total mess of
different jar files, redundancy and shadowed classes.

Solving this problem at runtime implies a solution for build time but
not the other way around.

> My knowledge of Java's classloader is pretty limited, I'll look at
> OSGi and Clojure's classloader to see what I can do, but don't expect
> miracles ;-)

I am looking at this constantly :-) I am working on an intergration
layer (http://wiki.github.com/romanroe/ogee) but I haven't had much
time in the last weeks. Ogee also has a small context-oriented
programming module and I am focusing on this anyway currently.