On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 19:07:43 +0000
Martin Coxall <pseudo.m...@me.com> wrote:

> For each line that is not within a vector, and does not have an opening
> parenthesis, infer an opening parenthesis at the start of the line. Remember
> the level of indentation, and infer a closing parenthesis at the end of the
> line *before* the next line whose indentation is the same as or less than the
> remembered one.
>
> My question is: why would such a scheme work/not work, and why would/would
> not it be desirable?

Congratulations, you've just (re-invented) ABC & Python.

It can work. It's very comfortable to write, as it cuts down on a lot
of the syntactic noise in a program.

Downsides:

- Breaking the formatting of code beaks the meaning.
- Cutting and pasting inside a program becomes more interesting. It
  can be done - emacs can rigidly indent a region that's been pasted
  to the right place - but you can't really fix it "by hand" later.
- The size of tabs suddenly *matters*.

And the biggie:

- A lot of people find this significant whitespace as off-putting as
  the parenthesis in LISP. Not as many, but still a significant
  number.

    <mike
--
Mike Meyer <m...@mired.org>             http://www.mired.org/consulting.html