Many/most of the best programmers I know have allergic reactions to
parens. I think this is a normal reaction based on the amount of
successful time they have spent with ; terminated languages. FWIW, I
certainly flinch when I see Objective-C code with [ ] in strange
places, although these other programmers do not.

I'd like to think that forgetting about operator precedence and
enabling things like (< 1 2 3 4) are the first step to appreciating
list oriented mental parsing.

I don't hope Clojure ever becomes a lowest common denominator
language. There will always be a stream of competitors for that title,
like VB and Java. But I do hope that Clojure becomes widely known
enough to build a reputation for terse, fast, concurrency-friendly
code with a fair amount of punctuation. Remember, the punctuation
threshold for "hello, world" in Java is {([]){();}}