On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Martin Coxall <pseudo.m...@me.com> wrote:

> > I guess it's mostly a matter of judging a language by its long-term
> > merits instead of initial appearance -- just like with so many other
> > things in life.
> >

> That - right there - is a tacit admission that the Clojure community will
> find it actively desirable that it remain a minority language, so we can all
> feel smug that we understand something those poor average programmers were
> too simple to see.

I don't think anybody in the Clojure community wants to Clojure to be a
fringe language. Considering the ML now has about 3K subscribers (up 2500
from 14 months ago) I think Rich Hickey and the community have done a fair
job touting it's advantages.

However, there are somethings about every language that you just have to
accept. Lisp's parentheses are one of those things. For example, it's really
not worth complaining about Python's enforcement of significant whitespace.
Sure people sing it praises now, but to this day there still fruitless
discussions about the matter mostly initiated by people with only a passing
familiarity of the language.

> You know there's nothing wrong with allowing Clojure to display its
> elegance upfront, rather than making programmers work for it like it's some
> Presbytarian admission exam.

You are not the first to bring up the concern about parentheses and you will
certainly not be the last. My advice would be to let the matter drop. People
who aren't going to learn Lisp just because it has parentheses aren't going
to be converted. But from the variety of programmers on this list, parens
are not a significant deterrant for programmers coming from the background
of Java, Scala, JavaScript, C, C++, Objective-C, OCaml, Haskell, Prolog,
Erlang, PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby, etc.