I'm a clojure newbie, but bear with me; I'm trying to save an
expression that contains a function I've defined earlier, and then
selectively evaluate it later.  (The idea is that I will swap out the
function later in the code).  Something like

(defn y [a b] (+ a b))
(def x '(y 1 2))

(defn -main []
  (println (eval x)))

which yields

"Unable to resolve symbol: y in this context (NO_SOURCE_FILE:7)"
etc.

If I do it via the REPL, it works fine, as does using built-in
functions as code, eg

(def x '(+ 1 2))

(defn -main []
  (println (eval x)))