On Jan 22, 4:34 pm, Richard Newman <holyg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just this week I noticed that Apache HttpComponents 4.0.1 and 4.1
> > use completely different methods to apply pre-emptive HTTP Basic
> > Auth, and have even changed class hierarchies. A version of clj-
> > apache-http targeted at 4.0.1 won't even run against a 4.1 jar (and
> > vice versa), *even without AOT*, because the package names are
> > different. On the other hand, some libraries -- such as log4j --
> > preserve API compatibility across versions.
>
> In fact, I just hit a concrete example of this.
>
> clj-apache-http uses httpcomponents 4.0.1.
> ring uses 4.0-alpha6, which is obsolete.
>
> One of my projects currently will not build because ring's transitive
> dependency gets pulled into lib, and apparently gets on the classpath
> first, causing the load of clj-apache-http to fail:
>
>      [null] java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No matching ctor found
> for class org.apache.http.protocol.BasicHttpContext (http.clj:274)
>
> Now I have to fix Ring, and hope that mmcgrana will accept the fix and
> deploy to the central repo. That fix might break someone else's code
> in turn. Oh, the tangled webs we weave.

I have yet to use lein, but Ivy will take the higher version when it
sees different transitive dependency versions.  Further, it will allow
the depending project's ivy.xml file to specify that the version it
specifies should override that default behavior.  I assume similar
functionality would be necessary for any dependency management system.

And as for Apache HttpComponents, it sounds like they don't grok the
notion that breaking backwards compatibility should only occur with a
major-version change.