Conference alignment is smart, but to which conference?  I suppose it
depends on whether the conference organizers prefer to convenience the
audience of JavaOne or ICFP.  I'm unfamiliar with what sort of folks
go to JavaOne, I'd imagine many of them aren't familiar with Clojure
and wouldn't be interested in paying (or convincing their employers to
pay) to attend the conference.

I attended JavaOne last year, primarily for SailFin and Clojure. It's *huge*. There was interest for Clojure, but there are also aisles upon aisles of awful middleware/reporting software brokers.

If I wasn't sponsored to go, I wouldn't have paid for it. I imagine the overlap for ICFP and ILC (which isn't happening again until 2011) would be a higher percentage, if not a higher absolute figure due to the huge size of JavaOne.

Whether most of the JavaOne co-attendees would actually be 'genuine' Clojurites in the making, or just Java drones looking for fresh buzzwords, I can't say.