Liam <liam.ga...@gmail.com> writes:

> Could someone educate me about what developers normally do when faced
> with having to create a lexer / parser / analyzer, say for clojure?

For parsing something like Clojure I would probably do it by hand, as
the syntax is regular-enough that it's pretty easy to do.  For parsing
anything more complex or if I was trying to match a formally specified
grammar [1] I'd probably use a generator.

[1] http://python.org/doc/2.5.4/ref/grammar.txt

> Why would people go with a canned solution, i.e. ready-made like soup
> out of a can, instead of by hand?

Because parsing complex languages is rather hard to get perfect.  It
becomes vary easy to misinterpret something or accept something
which should be rejected.  This can lead to strange bugs and sometimes
security problems.  When your parser is just a direct translation of the
grammar you can be a lot more confident you got everything right.