Paul,

I first struggled to find a way to do everything manually cause I
didn't like someone else's self installer messing up my distributions
setup. I think I've found a satisfactory hybrid approach to setup my
IDE on any machine now in 4 chunked steps.

1. I rely on the distro to install emacs, slime, and git, and the base
system we would expect on a *nix machine.

2. I then bootstrap a checkouted out leiningen.
 -Download stable lein script (see Phil's github readme) and rename it
to lein-stable, put it in path
 -git clone developers version (I actually checkout my own fork that
has some modifications to swank-clojure and lein-swank plugin. This
makes it easy to deploy and it includes any potential new plugins I
would write. I build the jar for swank-clojure)
 -run lein-stable deps in the checkout directory. Symlink checkedout
lein script to path.
 -if you ever want to use a custom version of some clojure lib, check
it out, reversion it, and run lein install to put it in the local repo

3. I setup my .emacs for clojure
 -Link clojure-mode and swank-clojure
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/clj/clojure-mode")
(require 'clojure-mode)
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/clj/emacs-slime/swank-clojure")
(require 'swank-clojure)

4. Connect to a running swank-server
 -create a new project directory with a swank-clojure as a dependency
in the project.clj
 -run lein swank
 -in emacs M-x slime-connect

Hopefully that might give you some ideas.

Best,
Brent