"Some good books that we recommend to get you on your way [to
understanding the JVM/runtime] are: "Java Reflection in Action"
by Ira R. Forman and Nate Forman. "The Java Virtual Machine
Specification" 2nd edition by Tim Lindholm.
"Effective Java" 2nd edition and "Java Puzzlers" by Joshua Bloch. And
"Inside The Java Virtual Machine" 2nd
edition by Bill Venners."

- The Joy of Clojure, by Michael Fogus and Chris Houser who are both
active on IRC and this mailing list.

http://www.manning.com/fogus/