I tried to install clojure today using these instructions

http://github.com/technomancy/swank-clojure

(after first wasting a couple of hours trying to follow these instructions
linked to by clojure.org
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Clojure_Programming/Getting_Started#Installing_a_JAR)

and I seem to be having the same problem.

Below is a manually edited log of what I did.  It appears that there is a
compilation error in slime-repl.el and that everything after that fails (e.g.
m-x slime complains that some swank files cannot be found).

Any suggestions?

thanks
pt

checked for cleanliness:

- find / -name '*slime*' -print
  and removed anything that might be on the PATH

- echo $CLASSPATH - it's empty

- edited .emacs and removed ref to elpa

- rm -rf ~/.emacs.d/elpa

run emacs 23.1.1

typed this into *scratch*:

(let ((buffer (url-retrieve-synchronously
               "http://tromey.com/elpa/package-install.el";)))
  (save-excursion
    (set-buffer buffer)
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (re-search-forward "^$" nil 'move)
    (eval-region (point) (point-max))
    (kill-buffer (current-buffer))))

- positioned cursor at end of this form and hit c-x c-e

- m-x packages-list-packages

- scrolled down to swank-clojure and hit 'i', then hit 'x'

- *Compile-log* shows a bunch of warnings, and these errors:

slime-repl.el:122:39:Error: No setf-method known for
slime-connection-output-buffer

Compiling no file at Sat Feb 20 12:21:19 2010

Compiling file
/home/tarvydas/.emacs.d/elpa/swank-clojure-1.1.0/swank-clojure-pkg.el at Sat
Feb 20 12:21:19 2010

Compiling file
/home/tarvydas/.emacs.d/elpa/swank-clojure-1.1.0/swank-clojure.el at Sat Feb 20
12:21:19 2010
swank-clojure.el:47:1:Error: Cannot open load file: slime