Generally when you have a "*-by" fn, you return the a sequence of
original values, not the mapped values (e.g. sort-by)

However, in the case you suggest, you really should just be using map
& distinct, and not creating your own fn.  Using the built ins as much
as possible is more idiomatic Clojure.

(distinct (map f coll))

Sean