Thanks to several of you for development environment suggestions -- I will try
them all.

On MCLIDE in particular, is it possible to try it in its current state? Neither
of the sets of instructions in the README seem applicable to Clojure (or I'm
not seeing how to apply them).

 -Lee

On Feb 28, 2010, at 10:45 PM, Terje Norderhaug wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2010, at 11:38 AM, Lee Spector wrote:
>> On the development environment front: Is anyone contemplating creating a Mac
>> OS X "Clojure in a Box"? I would be an enthusiastic user. If it could have
>> roughly the feature set of the old Macintosh Common Lisp IDE then I would be
>> ecstatic.
>
> MCLIDE is on way to provide essentially a Mac OS X "Clojure in a Box":
>
>   http://mclide.in-progress.com
>
> MCLIDE does indeed have "roughly the feature set of the old Macintosh Common
> Lisp IDE" - although modernized. This should come as no surprise: MCLIDE is
> in fact based on the MCL IDE (which Peter Norvig a few years ago named in Dr.
> Dobbs Journal as his "favorite IDE on the Macintosh platform for any
> language").
>
> MCLIDE is a free open source Mac IDE for lisp on any platform. It implements
> the swank protocol of emacs SLIME and can potentially be used with the same
> lisps. The essential functionality for Clojure is is in place, with the rest
> to be completed over the coming weeks. Follow the progress of MCLIDE at:
>
>   http://twitter.com/MCLIDE
>
>> Despite a fair amount of tinkering I don't currently have a functional SLIME
>> setup, and despite the nice screencasts for Eclipse/Counterclockwise (and
>> very nice features it seems to have -- e.g. the namespace browser and
>> integrated documentation... is there any environment that has a debugging
>> environment approximating a Lisp break loop?) that's not really working for
>> me yet either. (A few specifics: In emacs, using a variety of configuration
>> instructions and hints from the web, I get syntax coloring and indentation
>> but not a functional inferior Lisp mode. Eclipse is a bit confusing to me
>> overall, I can't seem to figure out how to get Clojure indenting, and it
>> seems to be re-evaluating my buffers without me asking it to :-(. And saving
>> an awful lot of files to its workspace directory.) I'm not only interested
>> in getting one of these environments working on my own machine -- although
>> that would be nice -- but also in having a simple, repeatable sequence of
>> instructions for getting the environment running on fresh machines. This is
>> because I teach and I may want to use this on classroom machines, student
>> machines, etc., with students who have various levels of expertise. Our
>> students use all sorts of platforms but our teaching environment is Mac OS X
>> (with a linux cluster for compute-intensive stuff).
>
> -- Terje Norderhaug
>  te...@in-progress.com

School of Cognitive Science, Hampshire College
893 West Street, Amherst, MA 01002-3359
lspec...@hampshire.edu, http://hampshire.edu/lspector/
Phone: 413-559-5352, Fax: 413-559-5438

Check out Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines:
http://www.springer.com/10710 - http://gpemjournal.blogspot.com/