On Mar 3, 2010, at 8:42 AM, Michael Wood wrote:

> On 2 March 2010 17:40, Michael Gardner <gardne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As part of a project to help me learn Clojure, I'm trying to send an
>> email using code like
>> http://nakkaya.com/2009/11/10/using-java-mail-api-from-clojure/.
>> For the JavaMail API I'm using GNU JavaMail, which in turn requires
>> GNU JAF (activation.jar). When I try to run my program, I get:
>>
>>> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Exception: Unable to resolve symbol: �
>>> in this context (activation.jar:0)
>>
>> (The symbol in question shows up for me as a diamond with a question
>> mark in it.) Any clues on what this could be? Since it's dying at line
>> 0, maybe it's choking on a UTF BOM or something?
>
> How are you trying to run it?  It looks like it's trying to treat
> activation.jar as a Clojure source file.

Ah, that was it. I was using clojure's -cp option with a path with a wildcard
at the end, but forgot to enclose the path in quotes. Clojure was interpreting
the second jarfile in that dir as the script I was asking it to run.

It would be nice if clojure would die with a message about "too many arguments"
in such a case, but I'm just happy to have figured it out. Thanks!

-Michael