On Mar 19, 2010, at 4:17 PM, Mike Meyer wrote:
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 07:21:50 -0700 (PDT)
Sean Devlin <francoisdev...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm having an interesting (to me) question around a using REPL. Once
it's shut down, where does this code go?  I feel like I'm in the old
TRS-80 volatile coding days where you write some code, and if you shut
down you've lost it all.  Is this the case?  So how do you save your
code in a REPL?  I understand these could be unique per editor so I
understand if you get irate at me for asking such a silly question...

To answer your question about the REPL, yes everything is lost when
you close it. However, this isn't the whole story. Once you create a
new project w/ Enclojure, you can send code from a file too the REPL
either from a context menu or keyboard shortcut (Alt+E in windows).
It's standard practice to edit your file, and send the code to the
REPL dynamically.  This gets you out of the 1960s and back to 2010.

Most clojure-aware environments will have similar functionality:
SLIME+SWANK, Eclipse, etc. It's not clear this really gets you out of
the 60s, though - it's been standard practice for (file-based *) LISP
development for as long as I can remember. Nuts, it worked with
Scheme2C and mg on the Amiga in the 80s.

*) InterLISP and some others were more like SmallTalk, or MS BASIC, in
   that you edited code at the REPL and saved the entire
   workspace. That did add power - I've never seen a file-based LISP
   whose error handler would let me fix the code on the fly and
   continue execution.

Possibly I am misunderstanding "I've never seen a file-based LISP whose error handler would let me fix the code on the fly and continue execution" but that sounds like common practice in the REPL break loop for many lisps.

-- Terje Norderhaug
  te...@in-progress.com