Thanks to all who reassured me on the non-interference of lein/labrepl with my
existing setup.

I did follow the labrepl getting started instructions, get it working, and see
that there's some great stuff in there. Very much appreciated and I may want to
use this if I teach Clojure in the fall.

That said, the labrepl "getting started" installation procedure, while
certainly a step in the right direction, is still a couple of steps short of
the simplicity that I and others have been looking for. I ran into a couple of
minor confusions/glitches that I had no real problem overcoming myself but
which might trip up others, and I still think there'd be great value in a
"download, double click, and it works" package. I can feel the exasperation of
those of you who find it incredible that the couple of extra steps, which are
things that are as obvious to you as breathing, could hang up someone who is
otherwise ready to do significant work with Clojure, but it really is true.
Rob's ZIP file package looks like another good step in the right direction but
is still not as simple as the procedure for many other languages and still
doesn't provide a minimal Clojure-oriented editing environment.

Rich's revision of the Netbeans+Enclojure looks like it might be even closer to
what I've been looking for, and I plan to try that out as soon as I get a
chance.

Thanks all for all of the support.

 -Lee

On Mar 23, 2010, at 4:18 PM, Rob Wolfe wrote:

> Stuart Halloway <stuart.hallo...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> The labrepl project (http://github.com/relevance/labrepl) is a
>> tutorial environment for learning Clojure. It is open source under the
>> same license as Clojure. Whether you are learning Clojure on your own,
>> or teaching or learning in a classroom environment, I want labrepl to
>> be useful to you.
>
> It's really great tutorial to start playing with Clojure.
> I think it will be very useful for people just wanted
> to check what's interesting in Clojure.
> So I'm afraid that this requirement:
> """
> Make sure you have leiningen installed
> (http://github.com/technomancy/leiningen).
> """
> might be a little bit too hard to fulfil for beginners.
>
> What about creating standalone ZIP file, which will contain
> all necessary components: Clojure, Leiningem and Labrepl?
> I have in mind something like this:
>
> |-- bin
> |   |-- lein
> |   |-- lein.bat
> |   |-- repl
> |   `-- repl.bat
> |-- config
> |   `-- log4j.properties
> |-- core
> |   |-- clojure-1.1.0.jar
> |   |-- labrepl-0.0.1.jar
> |   `-- leiningen-1.1.0-standalone.jar
> |-- log
> |-- project.clj
> `-- public
>
> Actually I created such structure myself pretty easy.
> I needed just to tweak a little bit: lein, lein.bat,
> repl and repl.bat in order to use JARs from "core" subdirectory.
>
> Now in order to start reading this awesome tutorial there are
> needed only these steps:
> 1. unzip labrepl-package.zip
> 2. cd labrepl-package
> 3. ./bin/lein deps (Windows: bin\lein deps)
> 4. ./bin/repl (Windows: bin\repl)
>
> I tried that on Linux and Windows and it just plain works.
> I uploaded this ZIP here:
> http://github.com/downloads/robwolfe/lein-diagnostics/labrepl-package.zip
> in case you want to take a look.
>
> Br,
> Rob

> clojure+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words
> "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

School of Cognitive Science, Hampshire College
893 West Street, Amherst, MA 01002-3359
lspec...@hampshire.edu, http://hampshire.edu/lspector/
Phone: 413-559-5352, Fax: 413-559-5438

Check out Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines:
http://www.springer.com/10710 - http://gpemjournal.blogspot.com/