On 23 March 2010 22:43, Joel Martin <nos...@martintribe.org> wrote:

> I'll know that this problem is solved when the Setup and Getting
> Started sections of the main Getting Started page resemble this:
>
> -----
> For debian and Ubuntu users:
>    apt-get install clojure
>
> For Fedora and CentOS users:
>    yum install clojure
>
> For other distributions:
>    wget XXX.tgz
>    tar xvzf XXX.tgz
>    ./XXX/install.sh
>    source /etc/profile
>
> Now run the REPL:
>    clj
> -----
>
> This implies several things:
>
> - The clojure package is in the universe or equivalent repo for
> respective distros
>
> - The clojure package is a meta-package that pulls in all the basics
> needed for a useable clojure environment:
>  - clojure-base (or whatever it is named as long as it's not
> 'clojure')
>  - clojure-contrib
>  - Java
>  - documentation and examples
>  - emacs config/example/integration
>  - vim config/syntax highlight files, etc)
>  - a default repl launcher with command line history and one that
> catches Ctrl-C
>
> - Clojure is a first class citizen on the system. It is installed to
> normal system locations, paths/classpaths are configured to work out
> of the box, the repl launcher is in /usr/bin (or at least in the
> system default path)
>

> Until Clojure is quite popular, distributions are unlikely to spend
> effort on packaging it, but Clojure won't become popular until it is
> packaged well for popular distributions (this is a typical problem
> actually). This means that the Clojure community will have to have
> people who know and are willing to endure the tedium of distro
> packaging.

I don't know the process, but I'm willing to endure the tedium of packaging
clojure for Ubuntu (and by extension Debian) if this is the kind of thing
that can be a two-person job.

--
"Perhaps people don't believe this, but throughout all of the discussions of
entering China our focus has really been what's best for the Chinese people.