According to: http://clojure.org/reader
Symbols begin with a non-numeric character and can contain alphanumeric characters and *, +, !, -, _, and ? (other characters will be allowed eventually, but not all macro characters have been determined). ...

It seems that '>' is permitted in 1.1, as:
    user=> (def foo->bar 3)
    #'user/foo->bar

Does that work by "accident" (or by undocumented permissiveness)?
Is there someplace else that I should for an answer to this?
Thanks,
    --Doug