On 2010 Apr 6, at 10:59 AM, Christophe Grand wrote:
The cycles are gone but the identity john-doe aand its curren-state are still conflated so you get the same problem:

Thus, since simple trees have the exact same issues, circularity is not the problem.

Really, to me the problem isn't creating cyclic data-structures but updating them: the system must know which mutual references are to the identity (and should be updated) and which are not. You have to give this information to the system one way or the other, the system can't guess.

To rephrase what you've said:
"the system must know which references are to the identity and which are not." Clojure already has that covered, but it won't do it for you behind your back. :) And this is not unique to circularity and it is not caused by circularity.

There is an issue that you cannot create immutable mutual references, but that is a -separate- issue.

Btw, to some extent, one can create cyclic data-structures in Clojure...

I think Per was showing something similar.

Please don't blame circularity for identity/value problems. ;)

-Doug