It's almost certainly the commit that added the InternalReduce protocol: 5b281880571573c5917781de932ce4789f18daec.

I am slowly pounding my skull against this and would welcome any help. It appears that the internal-reduce function flakes out and stops working, but only intermittently.

If there is some way that protocols.clj gets *re*loaded while Clojure is running, that would definitely be a problem, as reduce depends on it.

I let Meheadable and George (my two macs) run clojure-contrib builds
while I was watching TV to get an idea of the probability of this
crash occurring was.

George, a 1 GHz PowerPC G4 (1 core) fails 37 of 59 builds (circa 63%)
Meheadable, a 2.2 GHz Core2Duo (2 cores) fails 48 of 132 builds (circa 36%)

It seems clear now that the problem is Clojure not clojure-contrib, so
I'm going to try to do a bisection of Clojure and see if I can't
figure out when this problem first cropped up.

// Ben