>On May 1, 10:05 pm, Phil Hagelberg <p...@hagelb.org> wrote:

> Have you read about this?
>
> http://hugoduncan.org/post/2010/swank_clojure_gets_a_break_with_the_l...

Looks good! Thnx for the link.

> If you are going to interact with other libraries on the JVM, you must
> be capable of handling Java exceptions. You can use tools like
> contrib's error-kit to offer CL-style condition restarts in your own
> code, but you'll always have to deal with code that you don't control.
>
> -Phil

Hmmm, I think I understand now. Clojure can't rely solely on a
condition system because then JVM lib interop would suffer.

Just curious, why not have conditions and exceptions co-exist? Clojure
could idiomatically use Conditions ........ but have exceptions as
well for dealing with JVM level stuff.
I mean the code from error-kit could be moved into Clojure core and
raising conditions and offering restarts could be idiomatic, inside
Clojure code.

>From a broader perspective, I wonder why only two languages (in
current use) were ever designed with the idea that programming
environment is just as important as the programming language -  Common
Lisp, to a fair extent and Smalltalk. REPL based programming for
Python, Haskell, etc still seem very immature.
While Schemes can have decent support, at least the language doesn't
get in the way and encourages great environment if you put in the
effort. Ex: MIT Scheme and Dr Scheme

Is it any surprise that the best features of Clojure development
experience is being provided by people who miss those features from
Common Lisp? And with tools adapted from those developed for Common
Lisp? People developing SLIME are  recreating the environments of lisp
machines. The best Java environments are hopeless remakes of
Smalltalk environments.  I just think there happens to be a lesson to
be learned from here.

I hope this is a seen merely as a discussion in general and food for
thought.