There needs to be more than one thing, but what we have could definitely be simpler. Check out these threads and join the discussion:

http://bit.ly/a76XSI  (dev list ns overhaul discussion)
http://bit.ly/ajcu74   (dev list "need" proposal)

Stu

Hi,

just started looking at Clojure, and it looks promising as a modern-
day Lisp for practical use.

I saw this presentation on Clojure: http://clojure.blip.tv/ and I
wholeheartedly agree with the design principles. Unified access to all
kinds of collections (list, array, struct, hash) is something I sorely
missed in CL back in the day (late 90's), and I like the focus on
practical programming in the modern world (multicore/multithread,
leveraging existing libraries, a stable and mature VM plaform etc.).
Looking forward to getting to know Clojure better.

But I have a question: Why are there *four* ways to do an import, each
with slightly different syntax and semantics?

Re-quoting A. N. Whitehead ("civilizations advance by extending the
number of operations we can perform without thinking") and Occam's
razor ("entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity"),  it just
seems strange that after spending tons of effort on unifying
collections the language would start heaping complexity upon the poor
"import".

So my question is: Are all these variants just temporary cruft that
will be collapsed to a uniform way of doing it some time in the
future? Or must we assume that they are here to stay?

Apart from that, what I have seen of the language so far (admittedly
only a couple of days) is impressive. Thanks!