hmm, whats weird is that  that works for me too that way, starting the
repl with the jar files in the lib directory of the lein project  yet
when I cd up into the project root  directory :

user=> (import 'twitter4j.TwitterStreamFactory)
twitter4j.TwitterStreamFactory
user=> (.getInstance (TwitterStreamFactory.) "foo" "bar")
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Can't call public method of non-
public class: public java.lang.Object
twitter4j.TwitterFactoryBase.getInstance(java.lang.String,java.lang.String)
(NO_SOURCE_FILE:0)

obviously somethings different between these two condtions (?)