That was me in IRC being an idiot -- I didn't realize how (mongo!)
worked, and that it was creating and keeping open a new connection on
each call.  Basically I accidentally was creating mongo connections in
a looping construct with mapped over > ulimit elements.  Wrapping
(mongo!) in (defonce *mongo ...) and putting it elsewhere fixed
everything.