The Java stubs are, ideally, a temporary thing.  They don't need to be
around forever.  However, I know of no way at present to generate them
automatically.

Also, you are solving half the problem.  Generating the stubs and
class files at the same time does not solve the compile-time
dependency problem.  Consider:

Clojure A references Java class B references Clojure class C
references Java class D.  A, B, C, D are in a single project.

You *must* run either gen-class or Javac first.  Without some kind of
stubbing, the compile-time references are unknown, either way.  Either
Java does not know about the Clojure gen-class classes that are to
come, or Clojure does not yet know about the Java classes in the
project.

So, treating Java as the least-common-denominator, you run:
* gen-stubs
* Javac
* gen-class

Since the stubs are around, you can also run JavaDoc.

The stubs don't need to be saved. In the Maven world, they are part of
the build, not source files.