On Jun 8, 6:33 am, Steven Devijver <steven.devij...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 jun, 05:47, Daniel <doubleagen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > These notation arguments are compelling.
>
> I'm not convinced. The notation would only work for literals

Correct.

> For non-literals the notation would need to support this:
>
> (* (my-complicated-algo x)+(my-other-complicated-algo y)i (another-
> algo z)i)

You're conflating notation with operation.

> This is no issue at all without this notation:
>
> (complex-times [(my-complicated-algo x) (my-other-complicated-algo y)]
> [0 (another-algo z)])

The point here is not simply to add a literal notation, but to
integrate complex type handling into the math functions.  Bifurcating
the math functions is a horrible idea.

> Implementing this notation would obviously require a serious overhaul
> of clojure for a nice-to-have feature.

Augmenting the math functions to support complex numbers requires a
serious overhaul. Augmenting the reader to handle the notation is
trivial, so I'm not clear on why you're obsessing about it.