Sorry for the second mail, but here is the passage from clojure.org
which mentions the behavior you've seen:

"5. If during the function execution any other dispatches are made
(directly or indirectly), they will be held until after the state of
the Agent has been changed."

Maybe it's done to prevent problems when the function the
currently-active agent sent to another agent depends on the value of
the original agent.