On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 09:20:35 -0400, Rich Hickey <richhic...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Jun 18, 2010, at 8:56 AM, Konrad Hinsen wrote:

On 18.06.2010, at 14:49, Rich Hickey wrote:

I don't see a way around this fundamental dichotomy. The semantics for + should be unified, and the operator that makes the other choice needs to be called something else, or placed somewhere else.

If you are doing a lot of work with whichever semantic requires decorated use, then it is going to seem awkward. A namespace based solution would allow "natural" use of whichever semantic was appropriate for the domain you are coding. It would still require an explicit choice - pulling in a different namespace.

- how will someone 'protect' themselves from libraries written using fastmath?

If I understand correctly, that is still an issue, whatever syntax is chosen.

- similar looking code will change semantics when the ns switch is made

The switch is explicit.

- seems dangerous as it might violate the presumptions of the original authors.

Not sure I understand this. Presumably if you change your selected semantics within a namespace, you had better be sure of how that affects all the functions in that namespace.

--
Hugo Duncan