On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 10:15 PM, Mike Meyer <m...@mired.org> wrote:

> Pretty much any time I really need integer speed, I also deal with
> numbers that can get much larger than 10^19th, because I tend to be
> doing combinatorics or cryptography.
>
> But you would agree that for this kind of domain, it wouldn't be too bad to
be explicit about
wanting bigint. If you write a program that work with XML, you don't ask
clojure data to be
encoded in XML.

> True, this represents a small fraction of all programs. The question
> I'd really like answered is how much difference does this make for
> non-numeric clojure code, where only a few percent of the calls to
> core functions are calls to integer ops.

I tried on some code with 1/2 ops per functions and already quite a dew
annotations. 10% speed-up in a program that spend 80% in Object.hashCode
(which does not get accelerated at all).
I think that's due to the 1/2 ops + the ops hidden in clojure library code.
I'd like to see more results like that and bugs in real programs.
It was a matter of minutes to try.
- pull the branch with git
- compile with ant
- replace your clojure.jar