On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:07:39 -0400
Garth Sheldon-Coulson <g...@mit.edu> wrote:

> I would, however, like to throw some support behind Mike Meyer's suggestion
> that the arbitrary precision numeric tower use names like add, sub, mul,
> div, inc, dec, while the "default" ops keep the symbolic names. I think it
> was Luke who suggested, and I agree, that it would be unfortunate to have to
> teach new Clojurians about machine math just to allow them to understand
> Clojure math. For new users, and also for people like me, it would be nice
> to having names for the arbitrary precision numeric tower that don't sound
> subordinated or second-class.

That's the point.

> I also think Mark's idea of removing support for bigints and bigdecimals
> from the default ops is worth discussing. It seems cleaner to me than
> overloading the default ops and thereby making people complacent.

Did you leave ratios out of the list of things it should support?

I'm not so sure about this one. With things as they are, if I pass a
bigint to a library routine that does arithmetic on it, it will just
work. Yes, if I start with a boxed int and it overflows, I still lose,
but we can reduce the lossage a little here. We might even be able to
tweak things to make it even better.

       <mike
--
Mike Meyer <m...@mired.org>             http://www.mired.org/consulting.html