On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:13:27 -0400
Daniel Gagnon <redalas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is the question I had on the blog post- what is meant by a "newbie"?
> > Specifically, what sort of newbie is Clojure wanting to attract?  One of the
> > "complaints" the original poster had was that you had a choice of editors.
> > Of the pool of potential Clojure users, how many of them are not already
> > familiar with one (or more) of vi, emacs, or eclipse/other Java IDE?  If not
> > 0, then it surely must be very small.  That you can adopt Clojure without
> > having to learn a new editor is a huge plus in my book (if I have to use
> > your development environment to learn your language, I'm highly unlikely to
> > learn your language).
> How many? Most of the ones who come from a Ruby/Python background where
> those editors are not very popular.

Um, my experience is that emacs and vi are among the most popular
editors for Python, Ruby (and Perl) programmers. Of course, that's
just anecdotal, so I have to ask if you have hard evidence to back up
your statement.

     <mike
--
Mike Meyer <m...@mired.org>             http://www.mired.org/consulting.html