> The Python approach leads to more readable
>code: http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/papers/readability.html

The two cases he sites do not apply to Clojure:

The first case is a function that is allowed to change the value of a
variable passed into it.  Variables are immutable in Clojure so you can't
write the dangerous 'inc' function he describes.  You can't change the value
of a variable passed to a function in Python either, but you can pass a
mutable object to a function and have the function modify the object, which
is close to the same thing.  Clojure is much more readable than Python in
this regard.

The second case is a function that is allowed to change the order of
evaluation of its arguments, decide how many times to evaluate its
arguments, and even whether or not to evaluate an argument at all.  True, in
a language that allows side effects this can be confusing.  But this doesn't
apply to Clojure.  (Clojure does allow side effects through STM of course,
but this is very explicit and controlled - more readable.)

I agree that macros can in some cases lead to less readable code.  On the
other hand, mutability hurts readability too.

Steve