What I've noticed is that conventions on doc string indentation is all
over the place. Combine that with the fact that folks build tables and
columns by hand, and a really simplistic rule doesn't work so much.

I recommend you just grab the remove-leading-whitespace function from
the autodoc program and use it. It's here:

http://github.com/tomfaulhaber/autodoc/blob/master/src/autodoc/collect_info.clj#L13

That seems to make all the doc strings I've encountered in the wild
format up pretty well.

HTH,

Tom