I understand the differenece between Object vs doubles and in fact I
do not want to point out that C is faster than Java (which it is not)
but I want to see the 10:1 speed improvement between my Batcher sort
implementation and the standard sort.

The ellipticgroup Benchmark class is very soffisticated in making sure
that the results are really meaningful. Please have a look at the two
developerworks articles mentioned above plus the additional material
given on the ellipticgroup web site. In addition to what the Benchmark
class does (to double check so to say) I made sure that all code is
compiled in advance before the measuring part begins by looking at the
output of "-XX:+PrintCompilation". Therefore the measurement is only
about the sorting itself and not about JIT compilation.

My question is: what do I have to do in Java in order to see the 10:1
speed improvement that should be possible?