You can create a new project, even if you don't use it:

lein new experiments

inside it will create a project.clj.

Checks the dependencies look like that:

   :dependencies [[org.clojure/clojure "1.2.0-RC3"]
                 [org.clojure/clojure-contrib "1.2.0-RC3"]

Type lein deps in the directory. It will download the latest version of clojure.

lein repl, will open a repl.

You can also have a look to the cljr project
http://github.com/liebke/cljr

It is intended for repl-based project.

Hopes that helps.