I think Leiningen does a great job of hiding maven. I initially wanted
to avoid Leiningen because of maven and when I was putting together
cfmljure (as a way to introduce Clojure to CFML developers :) I
initially documented the download ZIP, unzip, copy JARs approach but
then I reconsidered and updated cfmljure to work better with Leiningen
projects and updated the docs for lein instead. I think it's by far
the easiest way to deal with getting Clojure up and running. You
download one script, make it executable and run it to install
Leiningen and then projects are as easy as 1. lein new myproject, 2.
lein deps, 3. lein test - although I pretty much always add lein-run
and I'm looking forward to it being built into Leiningen at some
future date (hopefully!).