This might be slightly off the wall, but I recently watched a tiny documentary
about an experimental congestion control strategy in the UK where at a busy
junction they disabled the traffic lights. Interestingly it reminded me of
Clojure's STM (except on car crashes a big robot arm would scoop up the crashed
cars, fix them up, and place them back in the traffic queue). Coordination
could be seen as attaching cars together by a rope and treating them as one car
for the purpose of the junction. Locks can be seen as the traffic lights
themselves.

Anyway, I wondered if any of you had any opinions. I really think we could do
with some good analogies for elusive notions such as the STM.

Video in question: http://www.wimp.com/trafficlights

Sam

---
http://sam.aaron.name