I asked Stu on the booze bus about the purpose of contrib apart from
being a stage for libraries which might get included into core.  He
noted that having a set of libraries for which provenance is assured
is a strong selling point for getting clojure into certain types of
organizations, ones which otherwise might use clojure, but eschew the
notion of, say, needing to pull down random github code.

Amortized over the life of ones contributions, the hurdle of printing,
signing, and mailing one document is negligible, while the potential
rewards of an ever larger pool of clojure adoption is significant.