Usually it's more about the algorithm than the language. Java can
generally do things faster than clojure, simply because it has fewer
layers, but the speedup is a linear factor. If the java solution for
1000 elements takes 5ms and your clojure code takes even a second,
it's likely that clojure isn't to blame. Maybe you could post one of
your solutions, or simply compare it to a java solution yourself?