Hallo all,

I know that what I'm asking here is not 100% about clojure but I hope
people in here can help me anyway.

Me and a classmade of mine have to do a project for school and we
though i would be cool to do some programming language benchmarking.
Its a good fit because he is a systems guy and I'm a programmer. So I
can write the benchmarks and he can test them but neither of us ever
did any benchmarking.

To keep things simple I choose three jvm languages (Clojure, Scala and
JRuby but I could change them if there would be a good reason). The
other thing I have to work out is what algorithms (2) I want to
benchmark.

So I have a few questions.

- is there good information (i could find much) on whats importend in
benchmarking and other general things you should know when you do
benchmarking.
- Can it make sence to ask the question on how fast a language is if
you write the test in a "idiomatic" way.
- I don't want test that are only based on number crunching (on of
them could be). What would be good benchmarks for languages?
- What are the best tools to benchmark on the jvm (and optimize your
tests)
- Are there other things that you think could be helpful to me.

Thanks for you help