You can not extend them, as they are marked final.

Another point to consider is clojure-in-clojure. If that is ever going
to happen, one needs to be able to implement Atom as well. It is also
generally better to code to an interface rather than to an
implementation.

Alter and send also work differently from swap!, so I think it makes
sense to have separate functions for them. But CouchDB also exhibits
shared, synchronous, independent state, so I don't see the point in
prohibiting the use of the same interface.