On Dec 6, 6:01 pm, Mike Meyer <mwm-keyword-googlegroups.
620...@mired.org> wrote:
<good stuff snipped>

Mike and I have had a nice off-line conversation where we enumerated
the possible things that can come after open-parens. I listed 7, he
added 3:

> 1. A value (if the paren has a tick '(  )
> 2. A function.
> 3. A map - which is a psuedo function that takes a key as an arg.
> 4. A keyword - which is a psuedo function that takes a map as an arg.
> 5. A macro. This is the normal case, I think. Looking through the mailing
> list, it appears that most clojure programming questions revolve around
> which one of the hundreds of macros to invoke and in which order!
> 6. The Java form: (MyClass. )
> 7. The java method form (.doSomething)
8. A function returning a function to invoke - ((find-my-function) )
9. A loop - (recur )
10. The anonymous function macro: #( )

So, at least I know why I feel uneasy about open paren! It's super
overloaded.

Mike also points out that things that aren't functions (not used in
that context) can't be aliased with def or use.