> Since transients enforce single-threadedness, there's no reason to put
> it in an atom.  You're right that would work for the truly
> single-threaded scenario.  I'm more interested right now in the
> scenario of "multi-threaded, low-contention, only occasionally need a
> snapshot (for iteration without blocking)", so I hadn't really thought
> in terms of transients, but I appreciate the reminder.  Maybe some of
> the new pod work will eventually help here since it will reportedly
> allow for other sorts of ways to manage the mutable contents.  Good
> thinking,

Well, if your updates come in batches, you could still see significant
benefits by storing the persistent map in an atom and using transients
to perform the batch updates within a single call to swap!.
Otherwise, I guess they might not be suitable for your purpose (yet --
we'll see what happens with pods).

-Jason